Sometimes when you’re surfing the web you might find websites or pictures or other information that upsets you or makes you feel uncomfortable. There’s a lot of information on the web that isn’t meant for kids but sometimes it can appear when you don’t want it to.
Did you know?
- Not everything you read on the web is true – anyone can put information on the Internet and not everyone is an expert.
- A lot of websites are illegal but because the Internet is global our laws in Australia can’t stop these sites being published overseas.
- Make sure you have the Cybersafety button downloaded onto your computer, laptop or mobile phone and press this if you come across an upsetting website. This will immediately get you out of there.
- Tell your Mum or Dad or an adult you trust if you come across upsetting material on the Internet. Or you can call Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800, visit their website or contact the Cybersmart Online Helpline service.
- Check with your parents that your Internet security settings are set to block out material that is meant for adults.
- Ask your parents to install a filter on your computer to block out bad websites.
- Ask your parents to help you find safe and fun sites for you to use and bookmark them for later.
Think You Know