Unwanted contact happens when someone you don’t know tries to contact you online by sending emails, text messages or through social network sites. This can sometimes make you feel uncomfortable particularly if they start asking personal questions or send you photos or pictures you don’t like. This can also happen from someone you do know.
Did you know?
- Some people you meet on the Internet are not who they say they are – it’s easy for people to lie about their name and their age online.
- A girl in Germany ‘accidentally’ invited 15,000 people to her birthday party on Facebook after she forgot to make it a private event.
- Never give out personal information over the Internet to someone you don’t know.
- Don’t put your full address on the Internet – just your city is enough information.
- Don’t put your mobile phone number or your school on the Internet.
- Tell an adult you trust like your Mum, Dad or teacher if someone you don’t know tries to contact you online.
- Never arrange to meet up with someone you meet online.
- Don’t open messages from people you don’t know – they could contain a virus which can destroy your computer.
- Never send a photo of yourself to someone you don’t know.