What age is this for?
What’s it about?
Elsa and Anna are two princesses who live in the land of Arendelle. Elsa was born with magical powers and one day while trying them out, she accidentally knocks Anna out with a bolt of magic. Her parents take Anna to a tribe of magical forest trolls who manage to heal Anna. The parents decide to separate the girls so that this doesn’t happen again and Elsa is hidden away.
Some years later, the parents die in a shipwreck and Elsa comes out of hiding to become the new queen. At the celebrations, Anna meets a young prince that she wants to marry. Elsa doesn’t like the prince however and refuses to allow them to marry. This causes a big argument and Elsa accidentally uses her magical powers and turns Arendelle into a frozen winter land. Elsa hides away in a frozen palace and it’s up to Anna to find her and get her to reverse the spell.
What to look out for
There is some fighting in this movie such as:
- Soldiers are sent to find Elsa and ‘take care of her’. They fire crossbows at her and she 'magics up' some ice spears that she defends herself with.
- A soldier nearly chops Elsa’s head off but Anna prevents this from happening and gets hit by the sword herself.
- Anna punches a man in the face, knocking him off a boat.
There are also several scary scenes that would frighten younger kids such as:
- Some scary creatures like a pack of large wolves with glowing eyes and snapping jaws, and a large threatening snow monster with blue glowing eyes, large hands with icicle-like claws, and a large gaping mouth.
- A friendly magic snowman loses his head and arms from time to time. The head continues to talk and the arms (tree branches) crawl along the ground.
- Elsa and Anna are often in danger and are seen to be very upset and crying.
Moral of the Story
The message of the movie is that people who are different or who have special talents shouldn’t be hidden away and shouldn’t be afraid of sharing their talents.
About our colour guide
Content is age appropriate for children this age
Some content may not be appropriate for children this age. Parental guidance recommended
Content is not age appropriate for children this age